Hi Naomi,
This discussion prompts me to tell of my experiences while doing street
collections for fund-raising:
I am not normally a wheelchair user, but I DO find standing quite
onerous, so when I am collecting, I borrow a wheelchair. The public have
a quite different reaction to me now! Quite a lot actually make a point
of coming to put money in MY collecting tin, rather than that of my
(standing) colleague.
Quite a lot of them also make a point of talking to me, and many touch
me - a pat on the arm or something - which, if you'll excuse the pun (?)
I find rather touching. It all gives me a new viewpoint on disability.

It's also more successful financially!

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Browne, Hampshire, UK
Shaking Hands BBS, Fidonet 2:252/160 (+44 1252 626233, also FAX)