My father also was on amantadine and has purplish shins.  He was in a
serious car accident about 16 years ago, when both of his legs received
multiple fractures - so I always thought that the purplish marks were from
that, but logically they should have faded by now.  Over the past month we
have slowly weaned him off of his amantadine - With BTW some major
withdrawal symptoms for which we were unprepared.  I will watch him to see
if the marks fade now - and report back.

However,  the symptoms of drying out, cracking and weeping - seem to be
typical of my mothers legs - a non-PWP.  She has been diagnosed with
Schleroderma - which is an auto-immune disorder which attacks the body's
tissues causing hardening.  It can form on any organ, but is apparent on her
shins.  It is tender to the touch, and if bruised or cut, the skin seeps and
takes forever to heal.  She desperately needs a knee replacement, but no
surgeon would dream of cutting into that scleroderma skin.
It affects mostly women, and causes death from kidney, heart or lung failure
if those organs are affected.  But that is with systemic scleroderma, and on
your leg is localized scleroderma.

 Recently, I saw an ad for the Scleroderma federation.

1-800-422-1113 in Peabody Mass. They could perhaps send you more info if you
think that might be what you have. And refer you to a doctor familiar with
the disease.  Not many people know about it.  When my Mom was in
Northwestern's hospital for her heart - she was a regular stop on the
teaching circuit b/c it is rare.

Sara Byron - daughter of Richard, 79 yrs old, PD since 1969

 About 2