Subject: Finding information in Parkinson Archives by E-mail 9/20/96

This is a periodic posting on Finding Information In Parkinson Archives By
E-mail.

Date of Posting: September 20, 1996

DISCARD ANY EARLIER POSTINGS AND PRINT THIS ONE FOR REFERENCE.

For assistance E-mail [log in to unmask] or LibraryH on the
Parkinsons Information Channel on the Undernet.

Queries discussed in this article should be addressed to:

                          TABLE OF CONTENTS
1.  START OF FINDING INFORMATION IN PARKINSON ARCHIVES BY E-MAIL
2.  TYPES OF SEARCHES AVAILABLE
3.  FINDING CURRENT SUBSCRIBER ADDRESSES
4.  EXPLANATION OF THE MAIL OPTIONS FOR THE PARKINSN LIST
5.  PROBLEMS? COMMON ERRORS

1. START OF FINDING INFORMATION IN PARKINSON ARCHIVES BY E-MAIL

 Everything discussed on the Parkinsn list can be found by sending
E-mail to [log in to unmask] Every message posted to the Parkinsn list
is archived there.

 The archives have been used to provide background for the various
newspaper and magazine stories that introduced many of you to the
Parkinsn List. Our over 1,350 subscribers reside in 35 countries.

 The messages that are sent to parkinsn are stored in log files at
[log in to unmask] These log files commence on the first
day of the month and each contain seven days or less of messages.
Log9606a would contain the first seven days of messages for the month
of June, 1996. The letter "a" at the end indicates that this is the
first weeks messages. The letters "b" thru "e" indicate the other
weeks of a month. Log files are like filing cabinets.

Each individual log file is transferred to my machine after it has
been closed for the week and is merged with the existing archive.

My signature line gives instructions on using the search services
that I make available.

John Cottingham    To search the Parkinsn archive, send search requests
                   to [log in to unmask] with Archive Search as the subject.
LibraryH           Search of the Subject: line, From: line and Body are
                   possible. Look for "Current Topics...." message for
[log in to unmask]    Articles and Studies available by e-mail.

Archive Search as the subject of your message alerts me.

In the body of the message put the word or words you want me to search
the archive for.

2.             TYPES OF SEARCHES AVAILABLE

INDEX    Returns a list of messages giving the date, sender, subject line
         and length of message, meeting the search criteria you have
         specified.

MESSAGES Returns a packet of messages that meet the criteria you have
         specified.

Example requests:

I would like an index of messages posted on 9 Nov 1993.

I would like an index of messages that have both neurologist and Baltimore
in them.

I would like messages on how to make "blue glasses".

I would like messages on "fava bean recipes" that use tomatoes.

I would like an index of messages by Bonander.

3.     FINDING CURRENT SUBSCRIBER ADDRESSES

The posters of the original messages you receive from the archives may
not be connected to the internet anymore or may have different E-Mail
addresses.

To find current addresses of posters send mail to:

In the body of the message put:

rev parkinsn by name

Send the message.

You will receive names and current E-Mail addresses of all unconcealed
members with last names in alphabetical order.

Finding Addresses by country:

To find unconcealed subscribers names, sorted by country and alphabetized
by last name, send mail to:

In the body of the message put:

rev parkinsn by country

Send the message.

what options you have in effect, send a message to:

In the body of the message put TWO WORDS only:

query parkinsn

Send the message.

As an example, these are my options:

> query parkinsn

Distribution options for John Cottingham <[log in to unmask]>,
 list PARKINSN: Ack= No, Mail= Yes, Files= Yes,
 Repro= No, Header= Short(BSMTP), Conceal= No

The pertinent parts of your subscription that effect how and what mail
you receive from the list are the terms Mail= and Repro=.

Mail= Yes and Repro= No explained:

When you first subscribed to the parkinsn list, Mail= Yes and Repro= NO
are the defaults.

This means that every message sent to the list by others will be sent to
you as they are received by the list around the clock. Copies of messages
sent by you to the list will not appear in your mail. You will not see
your messages.

CHANGING MAIL OR REPRO OPTIONS:

Send a message to:

The options for Mail are:

set parkinsn nomail       Stops parkinsn mail from being sent to your
                          mailbox until you send a set parkinsn mail
                          or set parkinsn digest command to the listserv

set parkinsn mail         Sends messages individually or turns individual
                          message delivery back ON

set parkinsn digest       Sends messages after midnight in one package and
also resets
                          the digest method of delivery for those who have
turned their
                          mail off for a period of time

set parkinsn repro        Sends you a copy of messages you send to the list

set parkinsn ack          Sends you acknowledgement that your post has been
                          distributed to parkinsn subscribers.

5. PROBLEMS? COMMON ERRORS

To receive listserv help, forward the complete message that you sent
to the listserv and also the error message you received to [log in to unmask]

DON'T INCLUDE MY ADDRESS ON THE CC: LINE OF YOUR MESSAGES TO THE LISTSERV,
my mailbox is full enough. Only ask for help if you have a problem.
Generally the first question I will ask is if you have printed the
instructions. We are all volunteers here and most times, the problems
can be determined by reading the instructions, again and again.

Other listserv help is available on #Parkinsons Information Channel on the
Undernet from 8:30 PM to 10 PM Central standard time.

John Cottingham    To search the Parkinsn archive, send search requests
                   to [log in to unmask] with Archive Search as the subject.
LibraryH           Searches of the Subject: line, From: line and Body are
                   possible. Look for "Revised Current Topics...." message
[log in to unmask]    for Articles and Studies available by e-mail.