14 Sep 1996:
Purely by accident, as I sought some respite from my usual goofing
off, I happened to catch part of today's Life And Times program on
KCET, our local PBS TV station- and was astonished to watch an
interview with the principal author of some fascinating new work
on memory and PD, exactly the same work which I had seen in the
current (6 September) issue of Science, and which I had already
written up for the October 1996 Current Science Reviews. For the
benefit of local listmembers who might also have watched the
same show and want to know more, I append those reviews here.
Transcripts of the show are available from KCET, but the interview
actually contained little beyond the CSR review. To dig deeper,
one should consult the Science articles that are cited:

CURRENT SCIENCE REVIEWS   by Joe Bruman   October  1996   p.1 of x

Knowlton B et al; Science, 6 Sep 1996:1399-1402:
PD patients and amnesiacs were given a gambling-type test where
they had to predict an outcome based on cues whose appearance was
random in order and variable in accuracy. The amnesiacs learned
to predict well, but forgot the training session; PD patients
recalled the training well but could not learn to predict. They
were at a fairly late stage (H-Y average 2.8) and under various
regimes of dopamine-enhancement therapy.

Robbins T; Science, 6 Sep 1996: 1263-1264:
PD impairs memory (as you always suspected). Declarative memory
(of events, facts, and shapes) resides in the temporal lobes and
is unaffected. Non-declarative memory, (the ability to learn
habits, skills, or judgement through repeated experience or
practice) seems to reside in the caudate and putamen, and is
impaired in PD patients. The effect of compensation for the loss
or of dopamine enhancement is still uncertain.

Science News, 7 Sep 1996:150 (news item):
Conventional wisdom, that memory loss in aging is due to death of
cells in the hippocampus (a formation inside a ventricle of the
temporal lobe) is challenged by more careful counting technique
in rat brains. Aged rats, with or without memory impairment, had
the same number of hippocampal cells as young ones, suggesting
that the cells don't die, but only stop functioning. If that is
true, there is hope that various brain diseases may be easier to
treat. (In another development, workers found on autopsy that the
hippocampus of PD patients was on average 25% smaller than normal.
Whether that was an effect of PD or a preexisting condition was
not determined.)

Cheers,
Joe

J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694