On Sun 15 Sep, JONES, BRYCE wrote:
> My mother's Parkinson's doctor has recently prescribed
> a drug named Cogentin (or Benzotropin Mesylate) (spelling
> may be wrong) to go along with the sinemet she is taking.
> Apparently the Cogentin is to ease tremors and rigidity.
> What can someone tell me about the drug?  Is it one of the
> agonist class?  What type of side effects are typically felt?
> Is nausea a problem with it for many?  Thanks.
> Bryce Jones

Hello Bryce,
            Cogentin is a drug belonging to the group called 'anti-
cholinergics. These drugs reduce the amount of acetylcholine in the brain,
which apparently allows a little more dopamine to get through. They are
sometimes used to control tremor and slowness of movement, but by today's
standards they are not very good at it.  Anticholinergics come with a list
of potential side-effects as long as your arm, and are not recommended for
elderly people because of the tendency to cause confusion.
  The good news is that there are more modern , and more effective options
available. Try your doctor on Permax, for instance.

Regards

Brian Collins <[log in to unmask]>