Hello, again:

Could not help myself -- had to share this abstract with you. While I may
not want to be the recepient of some of the methods practiced by Mayan docs,
I am sure that their patients receive a more personalized and caring
examination than I do in our 'civilized', stirile professional suites.
Regards,
Margaret Tuchman (54yrs,dx 1980)

-----------------------------------
Carod FJ; Vazquez-Cabrera C
[A transcultural view of neurological and mental pathology
in a Tzeltal Maya community of the Altos Chiapas]
Psicologa Clinica Medicus Mundi-Zaragoza, San Cristobal
de las Casas. Chiapas, Mexico.
Rev Neurol 1996 Jul;24(131):848-54
Unique Identifier: SDILINE 96265895

Abstract:

OBJECTIVES. This anthropological study forms part of field-work
undertaken in Mahosik, a Tzeltal Maya community of 250
inhabitants in the Altos de Chiapas, to obtain insight into the
neurological and psychosomatic pathology in an ethnic and
cultural setting different to ours. MATERIAL AND METHOD.
Accompanied by a Tzeltal translator we interviewed various
witch-doctors and faith healers of the Tzeltal Maya tribe to find
out their ideas about neurological and mental diseases and the
treatments used. RESULTS. Headache or k'ux jolol' is the fourth
most common cause of consultation after acute respiratory and
gastrointestinal disorders and fevers. To relieve it, the boiled
leaves of the bush payte' (Tagetes neisonii') are used as a
medicinal bath. Migraine, yaxti-wanjol chawaj' is treated with
the raw, crushed roots of the herbs chopak pox' and bakte pox'
together with the practice of cutting the patient with a piece of
glass in the temporal region, deep enough to make him bleed.
Epilepsy or tub tub ikal' is caused by an abuse suffered by the
animal spirit which accompanies the individual, after a fight
between the animal-companions or spirits which serve the forces
of Good and Evil. The person with chronic crises is considered a
witch. Depression or melotan' is fairly common. This is treated
with camomile tea containing an orange and a lime leaf. Xiwel'
or fear is one of the commonest psychosomatic disorders. The
faith-healer has to return the lost spirit to its owner in a
ceremony involving prayer, alcohol and the sacrifice of a fowl.
Psychosis or jowijel' may be due to alcohol, dog bite or witch
craft and has no cure. Madness chawaj' is caused by bewitchment
during a nightmare. It is treated with the sap of viborana'
mixed with wild beans.