Dear Martha,
I felt I needed to clarify some of what you have written.  Most essential
oils of Wintergreen may be synthetic methyl salicylate, or may be distilled
from sweet birch; rarely will you find true wintergreen essential oil.  Price
may be a practical guideline - if the oil is inexpensive relative to other
common oils of the same brand, chances are the  oil is synthetic.  If the
price seems wild and extravagant, the oil might be distilled from
wintergreen.  If price is somewhere in between, you may be looking at sweet
birch oil.  But, as you say, whether synthetic or natural, this oil is toxic
in relatively low doses.  Externally, even small amounts of the undiluted oil
will quickly irritate the skin.  (The extra strength formula of BenGay
contains only 16% methyl salicylate.)  There are other ways of using the oil
without placing it directly on the skin, if a person is concerned.  Place a
drop on a cotton ball, in an aromatherapy diffuser which disperses the oil
into the air, and the aroma will be beneficial this way.

Sorry, if this sounds like I am correcting you - I am not intending that.  I
merely wanted to clarify a few other points.  As I have a background as a
nurse, and am now a practicing herbalist, I felt the need to clarify your
points further.  Hope this all helps anyone who is struggling to understand
the use of this oil.  If you have any other questions please contact me at:
Kathy    [log in to unmask]
Friend of John (72/2)  Vallejo,  CA