Date:   Mon, 23 Sep 1996 05:49:15 -0400
From:   Default userBrian Collins <PARKINSN>
Subject: Re: if i'm awake, it must be dark outside.
To:     "PARKINSN: Parkinson's Disease - Information Exchange Network" <PARKINSN>

On Sat 21 Sep, Emma Bennion wrote:
> Hi Marvin- your story sounds familiar except that I tried sinemet CR for
> nights only and it made me wide awake and unable to sleep at all!!  I
> reverted to Sinemet Plus and Tryptizol(one 25mg at night) and everything
> improved.

Hello Emma,
            You might try this suggestion - it has helped me: I got exactly
the same result as you when I continued my daytime dosage of Sinemet into  the
night: Wide awake and brain buzzing.  However, I tried cutting the dose in half
and it worked wonders. Well, it gives me 4 to 5 hours uninterrupted sleep, and
that is not easy to get for us PWPs. I get the half dose by taking Madopar CR
which comes in capsules with 100 mg of levodopa - although they look
completely differrent to Sinemet CR, I have found in the past that 2 Madopar
CRs give axactly the same result as 1 Sinemet CR.
   You may have seen earlier correspondence on the merits/perils of splitting
a Sinemet CR in half. Briefly the message is: if you want a smooth 4 hours
or so, don't do it. The rate of absorbtion tends to increase, which means that
the tablet dumps most of its load early in the cycle, leaving less available
for the end.

  Regards,  Brian Collins