below is one of my latest poems; some of you may recall a previous poem
based on the same character.  i took that verse and expanded upon it based
upon several helpful suggestions from friends.  this poem can be viewed in
HTML at:

http://www.west.net/~mythhawk/poetry/MyMuse/LuciferAtBat.htm

be sure to check out my PD Journal: LET'S SHAKE ON IT!  / my newest E-Journa=
l:
HERMES & MERLIN: Mythic Ways of Knowing Technology / and the Site i
designed for my graduate school: Pacifica Graduate Institute at:

http://www.west.net/~mythhawk/Index.html
(Index with a BIG I)

thanks to everyone who has surfed by and read LET'S SHAKE ON IT!  I'm
nearing 2000 hits in less than three months! ;-)

>LUCIFER AT THE BAT:

>(There was no joy in Heaven,when mighty Lucifer struck out!)
>
>Once, in the early days of baseball life, a shoeless being, blessed with
>tremendous talent, stepped onto his field of dreams. He challenged the
>Lord to a winner take all night game. (He brought his own light.)
>This was unprecedented, since in the baseball game of existence, God wears
>all four caps. He is always the southpaw curve-ball pitcher, manager,
>umpire, and commissioner, (though he keeps these facts a close secret).
>This rookie angel, in his very first at-bat, hit God's first pitch, (a
>curve ball, what else?!) for a homerun! This seemed to rattle, the
>normally unemotional, immortal lefty.
>But the rookie's early success, would soon vanish. He noticed that the
>opposing manager was betting on his own games! He brought this to the
>attention of the umpire...who looked the other way!. (He had too,
>otherwise, he would be staring at himself.) This angered the rookie, and
>broke his concentration, at the plate. He struck out his second at-bat. On
>his way back to the dugout, he called the opposing manager an evil,
>power-hungry overlord.
>He was still red-faced and steaming his third time-up. The umpire called
>two quick strikes. The rookie fumed, and suggested the ump obtain glasses.
>The ump looked the other way.
>The rookie overswung the third pitch, high and tight, and vented his anger
>by arguing with the ump...who looked the other way.
>The rookie's fourth and final at-bat. He promised himself he would go
>deep! He stood at home plate--and seemed to point to center field! (To
>this day, no one is really sure if the rookie was calling his shot.)
>He watched the first curve zip by: "Strike One!" The rookie growled a
>descriptive phrase in the umpire's direction...who looked the other way.
>The second curve: "Strike Two!" He repeated the metaphor...louder!
>The third curve he heaved a mighty swing!
>"Strike Three!"
>The red-faced rookie hurled his bat across the field, turned, and faced
>the seats behind home plate. He jabbed THE finger in the commisioner's
>direction, and declared he could pitch, manage, umpire, and govern the
>game more effectively!
>The commissioner stood up slowly and deliberately, made his way to the
>public adddress announcer's booth, picked up the microphone, and announced:
>"You are banned for eternal life--Shoeless Satan!"
>
>=A9 jeffrey romanyshyn: 9/5/96
>TO MUSE INTERACT
>MY "POIESIS OF REALITY"
>email | home | my poetry | other poets | dreams | WWW =00

j.r. [log in to unmask]
WebMaster For Hire/4 WebSites/"HAVE PORTABLE-WILL TRAVEL"
http://www.west.net/~mythhawk/Index.html (Includes TWO FREE E-Journals!)
"Remember: no matter where you go--there you are"-Buckaroo Bonzi