Dear Joan,

I have been diagnosed for 2 years and my main symptom is tremor of the right
arm.  I had fatigue and a mild quiver of the hand for over a year before
going to the doctor---it would come and go.  I took Eldepryl alone for the
first 3 months after which my neuro. added Artane (low dose) because the
tremor was almost constant.  It made me a zombie so we tried Cogentin, which
did the same.  He then suggested I go ahead with the sinemet 25/100 ( 1/2 a
tablet three times a day ), saying that it helped some people's tremors but
for some it didn't help.  Well, it helped mine--which was bad--by almost
eliminating it.  This was about 7 months after diagnosis.
    About ten months ago he added Parlodel (mainly for fatigue)---a very low
dose of 2.5mg  ( 1/2 a tablet three times a day).  It helped immensely!
    A little over 4 months ago I went to Emory Clinic in Atlanta and saw Dr.
Alan Freeman for an evaluation.  By the way, Emory is wonderful---doctors,
staff, everyone---really impressive!  They added (one tablet at bedtime)
Sinemet CR  ( 25/100 ) "to keep me on an even level, instead of going off and
on."   Also:  Vitamin E - 2000i.u. per day--not at the toxic level, but this
was the level they thought was needed to provide benefits.   I feel better,
have more energy and never sleep "all day" as I did before I was diagnosed.
 My PD is progressing, as I now feel more rigidity in my right leg, but I
feel ( and my doctors agree) that it is slowly progressing.
   Sorry this is so long but my main point is this:  Everyone experiences PD
differently;  Medications effect everyone differently;  You just have to find
what works best for you,  but STRESS effects everyone with PD in a bad
manner.  It has far worse effects on me than anything else.  Excercise helps
a great deal.
     My personal opinion, which may/may not be anyone else's, is that I would
rather have a few years of feeling "almost normal" as opposed to several
years of untreated symptoms, i.e., anxiety.  It's the old "quality
vs.quantity" argument.  But I wouldn't trade these years I have now for
anything---and my family certainly benefits.  Whatever you decide,  I wish
you the best of luck and all my prayers!

Rosemary Russell