>Couldn't resist a comment  :-) :-)
>Canadian engineers, when they graduate, receive an iron ring
> to mark the occasion and most wear it.....  to be sure they can
>tell their right hand from their left.......
>  with apologies to engineers
>Anne Rutherford <[log in to unmask]>
>Newfoundland

I've been lurking for many months now...but I couldn't resist a reply to
Anne's comment about Engineers  :-)

To clear up some misconceptions:

Canadian Engineer's take a solem oath and undertake a ritual ceremony (part
of which was commissioned by Rudyard Kipling). The "iron ring" is symbolic
and is worn on the small finger of the writing hand (left or right) and is
intended as a physical reminder of an Engineer's responsibilities when
signing official documents & plans....the primary responsibility being the
safety of the public. The iron for the original rings came from the remnants
of a bridge being built over the St. Lawrence River at Quebec...poorly
Engineered...which failed with the loss of life.

Most Engineer's wear their Iron Rings...it is a symbol of our Profession and
allows recognizing other Engineers (as well as helping figure out left from
right :-).

Now that this is off my chest....a brief introduction:

I have been lurking on parkinsn for some-time now...firstly as a source of
information/inspiration for my Father (73 / 7+), and also as an education
for myself. My father is not computer-friendly, therefore I print-out 5-15
messages per week for him. Some of these are distributed to the local
Parkinson's help-group here in Nanaimo, BC (Canada). Incidently, this group
has chosen to raise awarness/money this Saturday by collecting a "mile" (1.6
kilometres?) of change (coins stuck on tape) at the Woodgrove Mall. If any
on the list are in the area, please stop-by and lend your support. During
the time on this list I have learned much of Parkinson's disease...a lot of
technical info about the medication and procedures...but more from the
personal experiences/fears/poetry/romance/etc. that has been shared by so
many. Truly a unique "village"!

Greg W. Keel     P.Eng.        [log in to unmask]

Parallel Geo-Services Inc.
390 Elizabeth Street
Nanaimo, BC, V9R 3C6
Phone/Fax:  (604) 753-0050