From:          [log in to unmask]
Date:          Sun, 22 Sep 1996 20:08:46 -0400
To:            dmay@[199.60.237.1]
Subject:       Re: CO poisoning

Hi Dean,

Sorry to hear that you live so far away from your parents, it is hard to be
so far away.

I'll try and give a quick run down on Kevin:

He is now 32 (will be 33 in November), he was diagnosed 4 1/2 years ago.  His
symptoms were:
tremors of arms, legs and hands (mostly left side - he is left handed),
cramping up of feet, stooped posture, slow shuffling gait, parkinsonian mask,
muscle rigidity, balance problems.  From what his doctor tells us he had
_all_ the symptoms of classic PD.  But b/c of his age all the other MD's
never even thought of it.  We saw this neuro for about 30 minutes and at the
follow up appointment he said he knew within 10 minutes that Kevin had PD -
needless to say we have not parted with this neuro he is just a few years
older than us and also has small children so he can identify with what we go
through on a daily basis with the kids and the PD.  It is excruciatingly
important to find a neuro that can sympathize completely with what the
patient has to go through.  I have talked with some PD'ers that have horror
stories with their neuro.

Kevin's meds are 5mg Elepryl 1 x per day, 25mg Sinemet 4 x's per day,
sometimes he takes more if it has been a long/bad day or lots of activity he
takes an extra one before going to bed.

We go for his yearly evaluation in October and so far we thing nothing will
change.  He has only had 2 med adjustments in the past 4 1/2 years and that
was just to find the right combo for him.

One thing to remember is that each PD patient is and individual and what
works for one may not work for another.  Each case has to be looked at
separately.

If I can be of any help or you just want to chat or unload, please feel free
to think of me.  I do correspond with a couple other PD'ers as well as one
caregiver and sometimes we find it helpful to be able to send a note off and
unload some of our thoughts.

Keep your chin up.  Your mother is truly lucky to have a son like you to help
her out and research this for her.

Regards,
Denise

 Thanks for the reply I know this info will be helpful

Regards,
Dean