>From Joan Samuelson in Washington DC:
THE NIH REAUTHORIZATION BILL IS LIKELY TO GO TO A VOTE ON THE FLOOR OF THE
SENATE TODAY!  Presently the only obstacles to a unanimous passage are
Senators Hatch and Faircloth.  We need to work on them.  Then, if it passes
tonight (around 7 p.m. DC time)  we have to work on Bliley in the house, so
that he will agree to let it go to a vote in the house.

Summary-- Points to make with Mr. Bliley
WHAT IS NEEDED:  We need Mr. Bliley to take up the NIH Reauthorization bill
and send it to the House floor for a vote.

BACKGROUND;  The Mo Udall Parkinson's Research bill (HR 1462 and S 684) has a
majority of both houses as cosponsors.  This includes a majority of the House
Commerce Committee.  Unfortunately, Mr. Bliley has been unwilling to take the
bill up and send it on to the full House for a vote.

There appear to be two reasons  1.  This legislation has not been a priority
for Mr. Bliley or the sub-committee chair, Mike Bilirakis:  and 2.  both
Bliley and Bilirakis would like to restore a ban on federal support for fetal
tissue transplant research, and would do so in a Parkinson's bill, since a
small amount of Parkinson's research involves such transplants.  Any such ban
would cause a partisan fight and destroy the bill because  of the conflict
over this issue.

CURRENT STATUS:  The Senate Labor Committee has unanimously voted to
incorporate a streamline version of the Udall bill into the NIH
reauthorization bill, and has sent it to the floor for a vote.  Senators
Kassebaum and Coats have struck a deal to keep fetal tissue or other
controversial riders out of the NIH bill sot that it can get to a vote and
passage quickly (probably by unanimous consent).  Sen. Kassebaum has agreed
to limit the NIH bill to one year (instead of the original three years in
exchange for a Coats agreement not to raise fetal tissue or any other red
flag-issue.  We expect the NIH bill to reach the Senate floor in the next day
or so.

WHAT WE NEED FROM MR. BLILEY:  We need Mr. Bliley to send the NIH bill as
passed by the Senate to the House floor, preferably on the House suspension
calendar.  Sen. Kassebaum told us that she talked with Mr. Bliley last week
and believes she has his agreement to do so, with no riders such as fetal
tissue attached, in exchange for the one year limit on the NIH bill.