Kalamazoo Gazette, Kalamazoo, MI     25 SEP 96

"Pharmacia & Upjohn Inc. will conduct the first-ever national study for PD in
minority patients.

P&U officials announced Tuesday in Washington,D.C., they are seeking to
enroll 144 people of African, Asian or Hispanic heritage who have advanced PD
and are taking levodopa, the current standard for PD therapy.

The recruitment effort got the endorsement of former heavy-weight boxing
champion Muhammad Ali, who has PD and was present at the press conference.

Ali's wife, Lonnie, who spoke on behalf of her husband, called on minorities
with PD to enroll in the study.

"I believe the time has come for us as a community to step into the ring and
face PD," she said.

Research on P&U's Mirapex (pramipexol) tablets will be done in conjunction
with the PD Study Group.  The medication will be at 18 medical centers across
the US through 1997.

Of the total patients in the study, 108 will receive levodopa plus Mirapex.
 The remaining 36 patients will receive levodopa alone.  After initial
clinical trials were completed, "we were concerned by the low representation
of minorities in the trials, despite Parkinson's affect on all population,"
Jack Jackson, P&U senior vice president.  "Given the fact that some drugs
have worked differently in different ethnic groups, we wanted to be sure our
drug worked consistently in all patient populations."

For more information about the study and how to enroll, minority Parkinson's
patients can call toll free (888) PRIME-20."

You are now up to date regarding Pramipexol from the former Upjohn's home
base.

Jim Ryan
56/7