FYI, more info for anyone interested in further researching into the effects
of pesticides (as we all know, they have been linked to PD):

**************************

In a message dated 96-09-18 18:49:14 EDT, [log in to unmask] (PANNA
InfoPubs) writes:

<<    >>

---------------------
Forwarded message:
From:   [log in to unmask] (PANNA InfoPubs)
To:     [log in to unmask] (Recipients of conference)
Date: 96-09-18 18:49:14 EDT

            =====================================
                         P A N U P S
                             ***
                   Pesticide Action Network
                        North America
                       Updates Service
                 http://www.panna.org/panna/
            =====================================

Resource Pointer #97

September 18, 1996

For copies of the following resources, please contact
the appropriate publishers or organizations directly.
                         ***

--Methyl bromide--

*The Technical and Economic Feasibility of Replacing
Methyl Bromide in Developing Countries, 1996.* Friends
of the Earth. Presents results of an international study
on methyl bromide use patterns in three developing
countries (Chile, Thailand and Zimbabwe) where methyl
bromide is considered important to key sectors of the
economy. Compares costs and yields of alternatives and
identifies economically and technically feasible
alternatives. Includes information about costs to
environment and health from methyl bromide use. 173 pp.
US$30. Friends of the Earth - USA, 1025 Vermont Avenue,
NW, Suite 300, Washington, DC 20005; phone (202) 783-
7400 ext. 239; fax (202) 783-0444; Friends of the Earth
Canada, 47 Clarence Street, Suite 306, Ottawa, ON K1N
9K1; phone (613) 241-0085; fax (613) 241-7998.

*Pesticides: The Phaseout of Methyl Bromide in the
United States, 1995.* U.S. General Accounting Office.
Examines availability of methyl bromide alternatives in
U.S. and discusses economic impacts of methyl bromide
ban. Finds that some parts of U.S. agriculture and trade
could be hurt by ban unless viable alternatives are
available for all uses when ban takes effect in 2001.
Recommends allowing U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
(EPA) to grant exemptions from ban for certain methyl
bromide uses. 41 pp. US$2. U.S. General Accounting
Office, P.O. Box 6015, Gaithersburg, MD 20884-6015;
phone (202) 512-6000; fax (301) 258-4066.

*Heat, Phosphine and Carbon Dioxide Collaborative
Experimental Structural Fumigation, 1996.* Agriculture
and Agri-Food Canada. Discusses potential for
controlling pests of stored grain in Canada by combining
heat, phosphine and carbon dioxide in place of methyl
bromide. Presents results of study in which this
strategy was successfully used to control flour beetles
in a grain storage facility in Ontario. 36 pp.
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, 930 Carling Avenue,
Ottawa, ON K1A 0C5; phone (613) 759-7304; fax (613) 759-
7238; email [log in to unmask]

--Biotechnology--

*Agricultural Biotechnology and the Environment:
Science, Policy and Social Issues, 1996.* Sheldon
Krimsky and Roger Wrubel. Examines scientific and social
implications of a range of agricultural biotechnology
applications, including plants engineered for herbicide,
insect and disease resistance and bacteria, foods,
pharmaceuticals and animals engineered for a variety of
uses. Provides overview of techniques for developing
each of these applications and discusses criticisms and
perceived benefits of these technologies, including
summarizing civil society participation in challenging
biotechnology. 294 pp. US$18.95. University of Illinois
Press, P.O. Box 4856, Baltimore, MD 21211; phone (410)
516-6927 or toll free (800) 545-4703; fax (410) 516-
6989.

*Biotechnology in Latin America: Politics, Impacts and
Risks, 1995.* N. Patrick Peritore and Ana Karina Galve-
Peritore (eds.). Provides overview of biotechnology in
Latin America, including government and corporate
opinions, problems of regulating biotechnology with
existing government institutions in the region, economic
and environmental impacts of commodifying genetic
material and relationship of biotechnology to foreign
debt and intellectual property rights. Includes case
studies for several Latin American nations and
highlights different approaches to biotechnology from
business, government and universities within and among
countries. Argues that careful national and
international regulation is necessary to control risks.
229 pp. US$16.95. Scholarly Resources, 104 Greenhill
Avenue, Wilmington, DE 19805; phone (302) 654-7713 or
toll free (800) 772-8937; fax (302) 654-3871; email

We encourage those interested in having resources listed
in the Online Resource Pointer to send review copies of
publications, videos or other sources to our office
(address listed below) or to contact Information Program
Associates Adam Kirshner or Gina Schilling for further
information.