On Wed 25 Sep, bernardo klainberg wrote:
>  aTO  Brian in the  UK ,,
>
> you told a very interesting story about seleg. Eldepryl deprenyl,,,etc.  But
> in my case it sounds like just hearsay , rumors and conjectures.
>  first of all: the u.k. story on early death has not been accepted over here
> , and neurol. are saying for the most part keep on using it., until   more
> conclusive results are received.

Hello Bernardo,

If you check on my original posting, you will see that I said of the early
death story  'Which may or may not be true'. In fact I have written several
times in the recent past that my feelings are that the scare story will turn
out to be a false alarm. In my view, the rush away from selegeline (in some
countries anyway) was an indication of the fact that many doctors had lost
confidence in the MPTP model as the major cause of PD, and they were quite
relieved to find a reason to justify discontinuing the selegeline.

> I am obviously prejudiced since I've been taking it since its acceptance
> here 7 or 8 years ago.
>
> Naturally I am concerned about expiring but my drs. marvel about the almost
> unperceptible advance of my PD ,
> specially since  I take only eldepryl and 1000 mg vit. E daily.

I am delighted to see that you are able to get on with just eldepryl and Vit.
E (Which I also take, by the way). You will find that one of the many
variables in PD is the rate of progression of the symptoms, and this is true
even without the supposed effect of drugs such as levodopa.

> I know it varies from case to case, but fellow PD' ers I see taking all
> those sinem, par..etc. are doing worst and  with lousy side effects.  I dont
> know why drs. rush to prescribe sine. immediately upon diagnosis.

You don't say how long you have had PD, but if it is the 7 or 8 years that you
mention in your note then you have a little way to go yet. In my case it is 23
years since the first symptoms were apparent, 18 years since diagnosis, and I
have been taking levodopa for 16 years. I believe in early use of levodopa,
with careful use, and certainly not in high doses. In my case, the 2 years
between diagnosis and starting levodopa were sheer misery. I was given Artane
which is an old and pretty ineffective drug. My life started up again when I
started taking levodopa. Today, for most of the day, if you were to see me in
action you would probably say "He looks perfectly normal, Why is he taking all
those tablets" The answer is simply that without them, 'immobilised and
incapacitated' is a very good description of how I would be.

> I see PD'ERS with very little rigidity or tremors taking heavy doses, which
> I will not do until i am quite
> immobilized and incapacitated.

I would be the last to force anyone to take drugs against their will. I think
that you may find your opinions changing a little when the symptoms begin to
bite a little harder, as they must eventually.  Meanwhile, and speaking as a
grandfather of some 18 months experience myself, enjoy your family and your
freedom, and long may they continue.

Regards, Brian Collins

--
Brian Collins <[log in to unmask]