>Hi, does anyone have info on this subject.  Is there any literature
>explaining the rationale for using this antibiotic for abdominal
distention,
>as well as for reflux?
>Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Jack and Joan Martin, Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Hi Jack & Joan, and Everybody

I'm usually 4-5 days late reading my mail from the listserver so apologies
for my slow reply.

I suspect the reason that Erythromycin  was prescribed for abdominal
distension is that a number of upper gastrointestinal conditions(peptic
ulcer in particular, but I believe also reflux)are associated with chronic
infection by a bacterium called Helicobacter pylori which may either cause
or aggravate the condition.  Any recent medical textbook should have this
information - look up gastric and duodenal ulcers.

Erythromycin is one antibiotic that gets rid of the organism, so it sounds
like your doctor is very up to date!  It's hard to eradicate the bug, so
antibiotics should be prescribed for a minimum of two weeks.

Seamus Tuohy