I think there is some confusion about problems with selegeline (Deprenyl or
Eldepryl) because they are arising from two very different sources. On the
one hand, there is the controversy over the effect of the drug itself on
individual patients, and about the dangers involved with its interaction
with other drugs. The other problem is related to dietary restrictions that
may be needed under certain circumstances.

selegeline is a Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor, Type-B (MAOI-B). Monoamine
oxidases (MAO) are chemical catalysts found within body cells, particularly
in the gut, the liver, the kidneys, and the brain. Type-A MAOs are found
mostly in the gut and liver, while Type B is concentrated in the brain.
These MAOs perform a vital function, that of rendering harmless the
potentially toxic amines that are found in certain foods and beverages.

Amines are formed from amino acids under certain conditions, aging of
cheese, fermentation of wines, smoking, pickling, etc. Or, as one source
inelegantly puts it, when protein putrifies." Well-aged cheeses, especially
strong and smelly, wines like chianti and sherry, some beers and ales,
herring, liver, and chocolate (sob!) are often sources of amines. In other
words, all sorts of good things that sophisticated tase buds have learned to
cherish.

If MAOs in the cells of the gut are inhibited, and are not available to
oxidize amines, they enter the blood unchanged, and can precipitate a severe
hypertensive reaction that can be life threatening. Many of the alarming
reactions that have been described in recent messages describe these
symptoms.

Since selegeline is a Type-B inhibitor of MAO, it does not inhibit the
action of the Type-A variety in the gut. That means it usually does not
require the careful dietary restrictions that Type A drugs impose. However,
according to the PDR, when the intake of selegeline is greater than
10mg/day, there may be a need to restrict these foods. (Or, I imagine, if
one pigs out on Stilton and Chianti and chocolate.)

So, unless one is overdosing on selegeline, or has other medical reasons to
avoid favorite cheeses or beverages, they can be enjoyed in moderation.

I hope I've got all this right--- corrections humbly accepted --- but be
gentle.

Martha