I just spoke with staff in various House offices on Capital Hill to urge
Congressman Bliley to allow the NIH reauthorization bill to get to the
floor for a vote.  Results in brief:

Bliley - His office quickly transferred my call to the Commerce Committee
where a very young woman with a telecommunicator's voice advised me that
the bill was still "in negotiations - there's lots being worked on."  She
would/could make no prediction as to when the bill might emerge.  Her
attitude was moderately friendly but uninterested.

Gingrich - An unfriendly and incredibly uninterested young man, eager to
hang up, assured me that he'd "Let Mr. Gingrich know of your concern."

Armey - Friendlier young man, same message.

Frustrated, I called  my own congressman, Jim Kolbe, and asked to speak to
his health aide, with whom I'd dealt previously in obtaining his support
for Udall.  She listened, understood, and assured me she'd make the effort
to push the bill out of committee.  My reaction is that if enough of us
were able to get our own representatives to get to Gingrich, Armey and
Bliley, it just might work.

Bob Dolezal, Chair, Arizona Parkinson's Advocates