As long as Amantadine(Symmetrel) is on the table, I'd like to share my
experience. When I was diagnosed in 1982, I was put on Amantadine, and
it was the only drug needed for almost a year. I continued taking it
with sinemet for the next few years. In 1986 having moved to CT, my new
Doctor here thought that a "straight" anti-cholinergic would work better
to counter the leg and foot cramps.  At that time, Amantadine had not
gone generic, and was very expensive vs. Artane which was available in
generic form.  So I dropped Amantadine, @ Dec/86.

Almost 10 years later, (am now a patient at Yale Movement Disorders
Clinic in New  Haven), I had been going through a very bad year plus of
real bad on-off- the offs were often near total immobility,very
precipitous, and erratic as to timing.  In frustration, I would gobble
more Sinemet- which led to tiring bouts of dyskensia, peripheral vision
hallucinations, and "faces" staring at me from anything showing
wood-grain. And the final side effect, where I felt detached from my
body, as if I was a film director shooting a scene, and my body the
actor, being told what to do.

At my last visit to the Yale clinic in June we agreed that it was time
to look seriously at a Pallidotomy.  Then almost as an afterthough, my
Doctor asked if I had ever taken Amantadine. Sometimes he said patients
that  returned to it got a good temporary boost.

What a boost,( I take 100mg - 2xday) for the first week or so not a
single off!! And without adding any extra Sinemet. The offs did return,
but they are more predictable and less "total", more real slowdowns,
than Freezes. The side effects which I covered in the other posting
today are manageable by drinking gallons and gallons of water,
Gatoraide, juice.

Steve Holahan 49/14