The warnings about Eldepryl/Deprenyl/Selegiline are real. '

IF one exceeds the maximum doseage [10mg/day] the selectivity falls off.
THEN the warning should be more seriously considered.

The warning in regard to foods to avoid should 'be taken with a grain of
salt' but not a whole shakerfull. IF one eats LOTS of stilton cheese, 25
year old Scotch, aged summer sausage, etc., one may suffer dire
consequences.  The wurst [pun intended] foods such as aged sausages are high
in purines and tyrosines which can bring on extreme high blood pressure
attacks. MAO inhibitors exacerbate the problem.

These foods are very enjoyable to me, but after one attack I still consume
them - but  in moderation.

At 07:19 PM 9/26/96 -0400, you wrote:
>I can't believe the reaction I'm getting, when my only intent was to share
>what I'd read on Selegiline.  I gave you the name of the book, etc. so you
>could know my reference and in no way was I trying to SCARE anyone, just
>give info, as I previously stated!  I realize ALL the even remotely possible
>side effects must be listed to avoid law suits, etc.  In no way did I infer
>that everyone taking this would experience all the side effects, for
>heaven's sake.  That's like most other Rx, etc.  If you feel this is truly
>baloney, you might want to tell your doctor to throw away his PDR, as most
>generally it also lists every possible side effect as well, as do the
>printouts the pharmacists receive w/meds.  I'm sorry you feel this way.  In
>consulting this same book (as well as Worst Pills/Best Pills by Public
>Citizen's Health Research Group) for many other medications, including
>corticosteroids, anti-malarial, NSAIDS, etc. for friends with Lupus, cfs,
>fm, and M.S., I found many many side effects and wondered if this was
>possible, but now have read on the Lupus forum all the comments from people
>who have been using them, some for a short time, some for years, and am now
>convinced these side effects are for real.  Feel so bad for those who are
>feeling these side effects; unfortunately many organs of the body are
>affected further down the road, as attested by these Lupus victims, now many
>of whom are losing or have lost kidney function, their hair, are
>experiencing muscle weakness, osteoporosis, and/or have gained excessive
>weight, etc. etc.
>I was merely trying to be of help..I'm sorry if I offended anyone.  I myself
>was on a heart medication for 2-1/2 years & I didn't feel any side effects
>from it and it was doing the job..but as the cardiologist agreed to what The
>Pill Book said, odds were that down the road a few years, it would cause me
>kidney problems.  That's when I began to research & found a drug alternative
>called CoQ10, which after numerous double-blind studies for years, has shown
>no adverse side effects.  It works great and I'm very thankful a friend
>pointed me in that direction.
>I truly wish you all well and I hope you don't experience ANY adverse side
>effects from any meds.
>

>At 01:12 PM 9/26/96 -0400, you wrote:
>>Hurray for attack language that is tasteful, humorous and  . . . well
>>let's see what happens next  . . .!  :-)  thanks to:
>>
>>On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, bernardo klainberg wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Dianne;   your list is in my   opinion, the biggest bunch of baloney
>>> ever seen in a medical board.

WILL JOHNSTON   4049 OAKLAND SCHOOL ROAD
                SALISBURY, MD 21804-2716
                410-543-0110
Pres A.P.D.A.  DelMarVa Chapter
63  Dx1991 Symptoms 1971