hello again

more on how our incredible brains work.

janet

Clues To How The Brain Processes Words And Pictures Uncovered

WESTPORT, Sep 19 (Reuters) - Some brain-damaged patients can name objects
from pictures but not from verbal descriptions. Other patients have the
reverse deficit. Now, British researchers have identified the structures in
the brain that are activated when people make semantic judgments based on
words or pictures.

In today's issue of Nature, Dr. Cathy Price and colleagues at the Institute
of Neurology in London report, "We contrasted activity during two semantic
tasks... and a baseline task... performed either with words or with
pictures."

According to Dr. Price, positron emission tomography studies showed that,
"...semantic tasks activate a distributed semantic processing system shared
by both words and pictures, with a few specific areas differentially active
for either words or pictures."

She adds, "The anatomy and function of the common semantic processing
stream we describe suggests that... when primates acquired language, a
preexisting object-recognition system could have been adapted to attribute
meaning to nouns."

In an accompanying News and Views article, Dr. Alfonso Caramazza of the
Cognitive Neuropsychology Laboratory at Harvard University points out that,
in the study by Dr. Price's group, "...the areas that showed selective
activation for type of stimulus (picture or word) did so for both visual
and functional/associative judgments.

This result shows that the areas selectively activated for pictures and for
words are not modality-specific semantic systems but neural mechanisms
involved in the recognition of pictures and words, respectively."

Dr. Caramazza concludes that "...it is clear that we are entering an
exciting new phase in the study of the human brain; functional neuroimaging
studies ..promise to answer increasingly finer-grained questions about the
organization of language processes in the brain."

Nature 1996;383:254-256,216-217.
Westport Newsroom 203 221 7648