A recent segment on public radio reminded me of the March of Dimes, a major
charitable organization which had its own beautiful headquarters building,
an excellent staff, an effective fund raising facility, strong grass roots
support, and a fantastic cause: the eradication of polio in children.  It
failed as an organization but succeeded as a cause.  The reason: Jonas Salk.

Rosemary Russell writes:
"Although I am a novice at politics (but learning fast), I wonder why some of
the major drug companies (ie..medications for PD) wouldn't help with the
Udall Bill?  Also, the major PD doctors, clinics, etc...even our own personal
neurologists just writing letters to their congressmen."

I'm sure that Jim Cordy and Joan Samuelson would love to put PAN out of
business by eliminating the cause of Parkinson's and reversing its progress
in those of us afflicted.  So would the leaders of APDA and NPF and other
similar organizations.  But I'm not certain that the motives of the drug
companies, PD doctors, clinics, etc., are quite that altruistic.  In fact,
the closer we come to a cure, the less interest in  Parkinson's we might
expect them to take.

Also look at it this way:  If there are 1.5 million people in the United
States with Parkinson's and only 10% take eldepryl, which costs them or
their insurance companies $60.00 each per month, then the expense for us
Parkies is $1,080 MILLION for this drug alone in the Unites States alone.
That's over ten times what we have asked for in the Udall Bill.  Why would
you as a drug company want to lose that?

That's why when Barb Schirloff offered cards to mail to our Senators and
Representatives, I was happy to not only hand them out to friends and
relatives but also to spend my own twenty cents each to stamp most of the
cards I passed out.  To ease the suffering: the medical establishment may
profit from that.  To find the cure: not likely to be nearly as
remunerative, if at all.

Art Hirsch
Lewisville, TX