Hi, we are VERY interested in this item, as Jack used tablets to keep his BP
"down" - "just in case" - (it never was up), and nitro (tabs and then the
patch) for over 10 years for what we were told was angina, but probably was
anxiety and the depression that sometimes first present before the PD or SDS
symptoms appear.  Jack ended up having triple bypass heart surgery in April
'94.  Before that the nitro dosage kept being increased by the doctor and
then it didn't seem to help at all.  About 6 months after the surgery the
SDS gait and small handwriting appeared.  He'd had nocturia (bed wetting)
and dizzy spells for two years before that, but we were told he had prostate
problems and the dizzies would clear up if he had the bypass surgery  (which
of course, they didn't). When Jack was first diagnosed, we searched for info
and one of the articles we rec'd from NORD (I think) said,

"Approximately one third of consultations for chronic orthostatic
hypotension in Vanderbuilt University Hospital ultimately lead to a
diagnosis of autonomic neuropathy.....Although it is relatively uncommon,
angina pectoris may occasionally accompany autonomic failure.  Since most
physical exertion during daily activity occurs during upright posture, the
chest pain may appear to have a typical relation to effort. HOWEVER, IT IS
OF THE GREATEST IMPORTANCE THAT NITROGLYCERIN BE AVOIDED IN THIS PATIENT
POPULATION, SINCE PROFOUND HYPOTENSION AND EXACERBATION OF AGINA IS LIKELY
TO OCCUR.

We couldn't believe it when we read it!  All those years of taking nitro,
probably just made Jack sicker.   We have searched for other info re nitro
and angina but have been unable to find anything else.  Anyone have similar
experience with chest pain (angina) and nitroglycerin?

Jack and Joan Martin, Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

PS: We are very glad that Dr. Robertson is writing a book on  SDS and hope
that it will help enlighten the medical profession and patients alike to the
signs and symptoms of MSA.