On Sat 28 Sep, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone could answer some question I have  about a sentence
> I read in a posting saying,
> "There is a tendency to hold the arm on the affected side close to the body
> with the elbow bent so that the hand hangs at about waist level."
>
> What does this have to do with Parkinson's and why do PWP do it? Why do
> people bend their elbow? Is it more comfortable that way? Is it
> subconscious? Conscious? Does it keep them more balanced? Does it have
> something to do with the arm muscles? Do they realize that they are doing
> it? Can they teach themselves not to do it if they want to?

To: [log in to unmask] (Name not given)

Hello ?? , I don't have answers to all your questions, but I can certainly
testify to the accuracy of the observation. In the earliest days of my PD
I used to find my right arm doing the movements described. I would glance
down and be amazed to find my arm held at my waist, elbow bent, and my hand
partly closed. The strangeness was that it had gone there without a
conscious instruction from me.
   The only conclusion that I can come to is that we are seeing the early
stages of what later is described as loss of muscle 'tone', or muscular
ridgidity. The arm muscles, free of conscious control, begin to pull in
conflicting directions, with the ourcome as described. This is a guess;
does anyone have a more authoritative answer?
--
Brian Collins <[log in to unmask]