To:  Parkinson's-affected community and scientists.
From:   Joan I. Samuelson Esq.

PROGRESS IN THE HOUSE, BUT NOT THERE YET.
Recap
Yesterday,  the Senate unanimously passed the Udall Parkinson's Research Bill
as part of the NIH reauthorization bill, which contains various provisions
authorizing NIH research programs.  Since then, we habe nbeen working behind
the scenes and going tdoor-to-door in Congress, pushing for House action on
the NIH bill before the Congress adjourns.  At the same time, many of you
have been helping through your calls and faxes.   We faced significant
opposition to House passage, due to a combination of a VERY tight time frame
and various political and policy problems with the NIH bill, but...

THINGS ARE STARTING TO MOVE IN THE HOUSE.
Our collective efforts are starting to pay off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We are getting reports that House Commerce Chair Bliley and Subcommittee
Chair Bilirakis are starting rto consider the idea of passing the NIH
bill!!!!!     And they are getting encouragemnt from many other sources.
 There are still obstacles -- the remaining trime is very scarce, and the
opposition of a few members could derail the effort.     But it continues to
look possible.

Various of our champions  --  including Senators Hatfield, Kassebaum and
coats on the Senate side, and Rep. Fred Upton in the House  --  are still
working to clear the obstacles.  It appears that the Udall Bill will go to
the wire.  The Congress may adjourn for the year as early as tomorrow  ------
but may well go into next week.

WHAT YOU CAN DO.
Whatever you are doing is working.  The message remains simple ---  until
your elected representatives can tell you the vote is done, we need them to
keep pushing.

The people who can make that happen are the House Commerce Committee
leadership  --  Chair Tom Bliley (R-Richmond, VA)  and Sub-committee
ChairMike Bilirakis  (R-Tampa/St. Pete, FL).     and
The House leadership  --  Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Marietta, GA) and
 Representatives DIck Armey (R-Irvington, TX)  & Tom DeLay (R-Houston, TX).
 Your own Congressmen could urge them to get the bill to the floor and passed
before they adjourn.  Tell them LIVES ARE AT STAKE! -- Get  It Done!

UNTIL YOU HEAR ON THE NEWS THAT CONGRESS HAS ADJOURNED FOR THE YEAR, WE HAVE
A CHANCE!
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK ---AND THANKS FOR YOUR EFFORTS.
YOU CAN AND SHOULD CALL ANY MEMBER OF CONGRESS BY DIALING THE CAPITOL
SWITCHBOARD AT 1-800-962-3524 FOR FREE!