On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Richard Coe wrote:

> Would this mean that the present e-mail forum would change (or be
> replaced)?  Or would this archive be an add-on?

        The present e-mail forum wouldn't change at all.  The mail
messages we send would simply be collected and made available to others
via a web site.    It's sort of like being asked if you want your C's
paper -- or better yet, your conference's proceedings -- to be made
available via ERIC.

        The only difference is that with ERIC, you're adding your paper
or proceedings to a database specifically designed to serve educators.
It sounded to me like the people who want to archive CASLL want to
to make their site  "the" place to come to find newsgroup and discussion
list archives, so presumably they're trying to get permission to archive
as many different newsgroups and listserv discussions as possible.  This
online archive will contain information about all kinds of lists.

        I think in general that sharing information over the Internet is
a good idea, and I'd support listing ourselves at this site simply
because I figure the more people who know about us, the better.  But
then, I'm incredibly cavalier about the things I write on discussion
lists; I don't care if they get repeated.  Other people may feel
differently.

        I don't really mean to make a big deal about this, but I do think
people need to be aware that being archived somewhere means another level
of public exposure.  It won't mean more spam, because Russ has set the
list so nonmembers can't post.  It probably won't mean more traffic.  I
think it does probably mean that more people will read what we're saying
here; right now you can't exactly bumble onto CASLL, but if it's archived
on a web site, you can (and people will).  Personally, I think that's all
to the good -- but my main concern is that people understand these
ramifications.  I just wanted to make sure everyone understands what's
being asked of us here, and what our answer means.  I'd hate for someone
to stumble on to the web site, discover the CASLL archive, and be
dismayed to realize that something they thought was going to a relatively
small audience (most of whom will hit the delete key) actually went out
to the world in a more permanent way.

Marcy

                        Marcy Bauman
         Writing Program, University of Michigan-Dearborn
              4901 Evergreen Rd, Dearborn, MI 48128
                      fax: 313-593-5552
                 http://www.umd.umich.edu/~marcyb