> > Boy this is scarrryyy!  Do you or anyone else have any suggestions for what
> >to use instead of sugar/nutrasweet?

Coleen,
Most likely, aspartame affects each person differently -- somewhere on a
scale of 1 to 10. Likely some people are not affected at all, especially
if they use it only occasionally. And, most likely, some people are
affected very strongly, even using small amounts. There is no adequate
testing on this, so it's hard to be sure. But that's my guess.

The good thing about the diabetic diet, though, is that all of us would
profit by eating that way.  Assuming your husband's blood glucose is
well controlled, I'd recommend using small amounts of sugar, honey, etc.
on an occasional basis, gradually developing a taste for the natural
flavors of foods. The taste for sugar is learned, which means it can be
unlearned. I believe this would be the best approach.

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,