On Thu 03 Oct, Lynda McKenzie wrote:
> >The question about an "off day" came just after I'd experienced the same
> >thing (though not on the same day, so we can't blame the stars or the
> >weather).  Yesterday I was locked into rigidity no matter what I did.
> >Intake of food didn't seem to be a factor.  I wondered about the pills
> >themselves -- is it possible that Sinemet can deteriorate significantly
> >if, for instance, exposed to heat in a car -- or to cold, for that matter?
>
> Interesting that this topic should come up.  I have been wondering exactly
> the same thing.  Lately the rigidity has been so long lasting I wondered
>if it could be possible that I'd gotten a 'bad' batch of sinemet.
>
>  Currently I 'm taking liquid sinemet and I  also wonder if the amount of
>ascorbic acid in the mixture has anything to do with the absorbability of
>it.  I know that one day I was beside myself with frustration by dinner
>time, I was basically immobile - I had guzzled most of the litre of 'meds'
>by then in an effort to unlock my joints.  For some strange reason, someone
>looked into the coffee grinder and asked why there was blue powder in it -
>it seems I'd ground the sinemet in the morning , made up the oj, but forgot
>to mix the two.  I'd gone all day on almost a litre of plain oj, 1 CR and
>umpteen permax.  No wonder I couldn't move!  Needless to say I haven't done
>that since, but lately I'm beginning to wonder what else I may be doing
>wrong.
>
> Last night we went out for dinner and I had lamb.  It was delicious and I
>ate much more protein than normal.  I know that last night's zombie state
>was due to the protein consumed, but I'm wondering what else might be
>contributing.
>
> Any suggestions would be welcome.
>
> Lynda

Hello Lynda,  I think you are on the right lines in that you have quoted 2
cases where you have been able to supply the reason yourself. I would
suggest some other 'hidden variables' might be: How soundly you slept during
the previous night, and for how long: When you took your meals, and when you
took your tablets relative to the meal times: and of course the composition
of the meals - how much protein etc.

Some readers of the list may recall that I have mentioned a recording method
and a computer program which I have developed to try to analyse these sort of
effects, and then, having identified the variables, put them together to
define an 'ideal' schedule to get the best results from the tablets. The
program is far from perfect, but I have found that I can usually make sense
of the day's events, even though the program does not recognise all the
factors which I mentioned above. Anyway, I have not yet found it necessary
to program in the phases of the moon.

In the spirit of making the most of your experiences, you at least know now:
1. Permax by itself is not a very potent drug.
2. Sinemet is a potent drug - you have just done a classic placebo test;
thinking that you were taking the Sinemet when in fact you were not.

--
Brian Collins <[log in to unmask]