Since there is occasional discussion of "alternative medicines" in
this forum, I list here a sample of products and their advertisers
as found in the November 1996 issue of Life Extension, a kind of
paper version of the TV infomercial. Some of our listmembers are
experimenting with one or more of these "diet supplements" and who
knows? They might have value. A florid sales pitch or the lack of
government approval should not mean automatic condemnation. One of
the vendors lists dozens of products, others only a few, and I have
selected only those that I have seen mentioned elsewhere:

Life Extension Foundation, PO box 229120, Hollywood, Florida:
Melatonin             60 1 mg capsules            $4.50
Shark Cartilage      500 gm powder               125.00
Acetyl-L-Carnitine   100 500 mg caps              68.00
DHEA                 100 25 mg caps               22.50

Prolongevity, LTD, 10 Alden Rd, #6, Markham, Ontario L3R2S1, Canada:
Vitamins A,B,C,D,E (various types, qty)          various
PABA                 100 500 mg                   $9.95
NADH                  30 5 mg tablets             32.00
Coenzyme Q-10        100 30 mg caps               34.00
Carnitine             30 600 mg caps              19.50

Alzheimer's Buyers Club, postfach CH-8911 O. Rifferswill, Switzerland:
Melatonin             60 3 mg capsules           $19.00
DHEA                 100 100 mg capsules          73.00

Libertarian Solutions, GPO Box 12496, Hong Kong:
Deprenyl (Selegiline)100 5 mg tablets            $95.00

Let me emphasize, I don't endorse ANY of these vendors, nor their
products for honesty, safety, usefulness, efficacy, or purity! The
list is offered for info only, as a glimpse of the other world of
non-approved drugs.

Caveat emptor,
Joe

J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694