Marty:

I noted your response to the PD Listserve on Sept 8, describing your age of
onset and your early symptoms:

Date:    Sun, 8 Sep 1996 20:51:13 -0400
From:    Marty Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Early Onset and rate of Decline

>Brian:These are my answers to your questions
>         * How long is it since you were diagnosed as having PD?
            a:  5 years

>         * As you look back, how long is it since your earliest symptoms
>           appeared?
            a:  10 YEARS

>         * How old were you when PD was diagnosed ?
>           a:  51
>         * Can you describe the early symptoms ?
            a;  Pain in legs
                Depression
                Trouble writing
                Stiffness on right side
>                  =================

I have recently been diagnosed with PD, and I have a profile remarkably
similar to yours at onset (I am 50 years old).  I realize that everyone
progresses differently, but given the same initiation, I would appreciate it
if you would share with me how your symptoms have progressed during the past
5 years, including medications, ability to work, recreation and exercise,
anything you would do differently, etc.

I am particularly concerned about work and career.  Any personal insights
you could share would also be appreciated. I am a self employed management
consultant in public health and health services.  I have been dissatisfied
with work over the past few years (maybe a fallout of depression).  Projects
that I once liked are less interesting, and elements of work that I never
liked (e.g.  dealing with bureaucracy, marketing) are barely tolerable.  I
am financially secure, but I need to have some income and I want to remain
active.  I am concerned about what to do?  During the past few months since
my diagnosis I have devoted increasing time to PD related concerns such as
lobbying Congress for funding (I live in DC), participation on the Board of
the local APDA chapter, as well as exercising and informing myself about the
disease. I try to avoid long hours, deadline pressure and stress which is
inherent in my line of work.  I also have avoided the things that I dislike.
The result of all this is a decline in my business.

Given uncertainty about disability, should I take the opportunity to travel
and do things I may not be able to do well later?  (I have 2 teenagers - 9th
and 11th grades - which limits my flexibility to go on extensive trips now.)

What are the non-financial tradeoffs and issues to consider for someone with
PD about early retirement and disability? (I have good health insurance
including meds connected to my business and I have private disability
insurance through a professional association.) What kind of documentation is
needed for disability insurance?

Thank you for sharing your insights.

Perry Cohen