At 09:34 10/3/96 -0400, John Cottingham wrote:
>When the smoke clears, we will find those Congresspersons who would take our
>families' homes and cars were the same people who were the last ones on the
>Udall/NIH cosponsorship train...when it was clear that it would never leave
>the station. How naive were we to believe that those candidates elected in
>the last congressional elections by the religious right and the 'angry white
>men' would be sympathetic to a cause and legislation that was named for one
>of the most 'LIBERAL' congressmen in history? These folks were elected to
>cut and slash government waste....not add another layer of bureaucracy to NIH.

        We were all disappointed that congress didn't see fit to act on the
        UDALL Bill. Some of us more so than others depending upon the perceived
        stake we individually had in the passage of the bill.

        However, we must not let a battle decide the war! And we must not
destroy
        the many positive efforts that have been made by those who have battled
        (and are still at the front) so relentlessly to gain the high ground we
        now occupy. The effort must continue!

        It isn't a partisan war that we are waging. Parkinson's Disease knows no
        party. It knows no sex. IT IS a damnable disease that will take all of
        those who are susceptible and it cares not which party or religion
or sex
        to which that individual belongs. We can't afford to be discriminating
        either. We must obtain each and every assist that we can garner even
if it
        is from the Devil himself.

        Our fight to obtain justice in relation to the dollars expended for
        medical research must be united and firm in resolve. We must use our
        vote to expedite the effort but we must not blindly strike out at any
        party or sex or religious group because a few didn't react as we
        thought they should. Look at the candidates and vote for those who
        you believe will provide you with the support that is needed.

        I have been keeping track of the Congressional and Senate folks that
        Co-Sponsored the UDALL Bill. A breakout of the parties follows:

        HOUSE:
                Democrats               161     66%
                Republicans              81     33%
                Independents              2      1%
                        TOTAL           244     56%

        SENATE:
                Democrats                34      54.8%
                Republicans              28      45.2%
                        TOTAL            62      62%

        We have 56% of 434 House seats Co-Sponsoring and 62% of 100 Senators
        Co-Sponsoring the UDALL bill. If we lose either  political party
        group we are much less than 50% Co-Sponsorship of the UDALL Bill AND
        a much longer way from achieving any measurable success in relieving
        the devil's hold on us all.

        Come November 5, Vote ............ but vote SMART! We may be
        disappointed by the outcome of the political process but to Hell
        with the political process and to Hell with Parkinson's. Results
        are all that counts in this war. We may lose some battles but
        the war must be won.

        Keep the faith and don't be denied what is deserved by all.......

        Best wishes.......Jack

E. Jack Savely CG for Jeannette 57/19+ Topeka, KS
KANSAS - 'THE WHEAT STATE' HOME OF THE SUNFLOWER AND 'TOTO'
Ad Astra per Aspera  -  'To the Stars through Difficulty'