Martha,
Thank you very much for the information.  I will not only pass this on to
John, and place in my files, but will also forward this information and what
I get after going to web address off in mail to the naturopath so that she
will have this information available to her.  Will also be sending it off to
all major herb magazines so that many people will be made aware.  Hopefully
those on this list, or if they know of others who are taking a complementary
approach (combining western and alternative therapies)to treatment of PD
will heed your message strongly and make a few copies of your reply.
Passion Flower (being a popular nervine) is one John strongly considered.
This could have had dire results.
I feel very lucky to have all of you to ask these questions of for John - we
both learn alot from all your joint research efforts, brave words of
encouragement, and loving openness with your daily challenges.  Please give
yourselves a hug!
Thanks again Martha.

Kathy
At 07:17 PM 10/3/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Kathy:
>
>You asked for information about beta carboline. Like you, I had no luck at
>first. At a USDA database I was treated to an ominous disclaimer, but no
>data. Then, turning to http://www.lycos.com and using carboline as a search
>term, I found a dozen references that should make anyone think twice about
>using any product with a concentration of carboline for anyone with PD. This
>is what I learned:
>
>Beta carboline is an alkaloid that is an indole psychodelic chemical and a
>monoamine oxidase inhibitor. (MAOIs can be dangerous when combined with
>selegeline or Eldepryl.) Beta carboline is an active ingredient in the
>Passion flower (Passiflora incarnata), in Syrian Rue or Harmala (Peganum
>harmala), and in Yage (Banisteriopois Caapi). The concentration varies with
>the plant source and is particularly potent in the Syrian rue.
>
>The concentrates from these plants are used by those in the drug culture to
>experience a psychodelic high, primarily by inhaling smoke from a
>concentrated extract. The legality of using these products varies by
>locality.
>
>These references emphasize that the use of carboline can lead to death if
>its MAO inhibitor properties are not heeded, or if the concentration is too
>great.
>
>I really enjoy the mind expanding forays that often result when I read the
>messages on this list! More new things learned today.
>
>Martha

Kathy Sedler, Herbalist
Sedler's MOTHER EARTH HERBS
5272-A West Gold Ct.