Hi Cindy Birk Conley
> My mom, who is now 79, was diagnosed by our family doctor with PD about a
> year ago.
> Our family doctor has discouraged me from taking her to a nuerologist and
> starting her on any Parkinsons medicines.  Mom only shakes when she gets
> really tired or upset, but has a lot of rigidity.  The doctor feels she will
> need the medicine as some of the other symptoms occur--shaking, difficulty
> swallowing, further loss of movement--and if she starts now the side effects
> will be bad and she will also build a tolerance to the medicines.

For goodness sake, your doctor sounds like he's full of sh*t (if you'll
excuse the expression)! At the age of 79 your Mum's ENTITLED to a bit of
comfort, if she can get any from anti-PD drugs, and the idea that she
will build up a tolerance depends on how much she takes.

Side-effects - well, yes, some of us do suffer from those, but, again,
it depends on how much you take. Personally, if my drug gives me a good
quality of life, I'ld rather have that than a long & miserable life. I
suspect it's a case of "damned if you don't & damned if you do".

Take her to a neurologist. If you're concerned about the drugs, keep a
close watch on what she has, & discuss remedial/palliative dosage
quantities as a trade-off against side-effects & longevity with the
neuro.

> Last week Mom had her 79th birthday.  Mom's depressed, not getting better
> but not really getting much worse.

a. Depression seems to run hand-in-hand with PD.
b. If you're under the weather, you feel depressed.
c. If nothing seems to help the discomfort, you feel depressed.

So, find a local Parkinson's support group, and take your Mum along to
it. She'll probably find it encouraging that there are others with
similar difficulties - YOU will certainly find other carers who can
advise you and support you.

> What should we do??  I want to take her to a neurologist--

Go for it!

> Her system is pretty sensitive--she can't
> eat a lot of vegetables and fruit, and I don't know what she can tolerate
> since the PD diet is the exact opposite of what she has eaten for years.

Many of us don't worry too much about our diet, though some say they
have to keep off protein in the day-time. "A little of what you fancy,
does you good" :-)

Good luck, & keep your chin up.

Jeremy

PS At 79 she's not too badly off: I'm 58 and had PD 10 years or more!
:-) Just keep on smiling, I say. A happy face just forces you to feel
happy!

--
Jeremy Browne, Hampshire, UK
Shaking Hands BBS, Fidonet 2:252/160 (+44 1252 626233, also FAX)