        The next time we are asked where the $100 million
for Parkinson's research should come from, we should keep
in mind this report from tonight's edition of the Buffalo
News:

"In election year budgeting, Congress takes pains to bring
home the bacon"

     Among the items reported that were included in the
$389 billion spending bill that was passed before Congress
adjourned was the following:

"$166 million for three WC-130 aircraft, which are specially
equipped to fly into hurricanes and monitor them. They are
built by Lockheed Martin Corp. in Marietta, Ga., in Gingrich's
district, and based at Kessler Air Force Base in
Mississippi - home state of Senate majority leader Trent
Lott. The administration did not request the planes."

The bill also included "$3 million to begin building the
New Orleans Jazz National Historic Park, thanks to Sen.
Bennett Johnston, D-La., who is retiring," and Pennsylvania
"will receive $3 million under a federal vocational
education program, even though the courts declared the
state ineligible for the money. The provision was inserted
by (Sen.) Specter."

Senator Lott was quoted as saying, "Yeah, there's a little
pork here and there. But of course, you know pork is in
the eye of the beholder."

Linda Herman