  <On Sat, 5 Oct 1996, Stephen Lofthouse wrote
:

> I'm sorry that Will A. Kuipers  ( in Dallas, Texas ) thinks us foreigners
> will be wasting our time if we email Congresspersons. (Are Americans still
> isolationists?). But if we are happy to do it, what's the harm? Anyway, would
> the Congressional assistants note the nationality of the emailer, or just
> count the number of emails? Those of us with US  service providers don't
> necessarily show our nationality - my aol address doesn't indicate I'm in the
> UK.
>
> Optimistic regards to all.
>
> Stephen Lofthouse

Stephen,

It is my turn to be sorry that my remark was taken like that.
First : I don't think in terms of "you foreigners" as it has not been too long
ago that I was in that category myself.
Second : It is far from my thoughts to foster isolationism.
It was just an observation from seeing the workings of this political system at
close range.
The politician can afford to ignore what does not hurt him or her.
Of course, if you would mask where your communication is coming from, you would
really be in the same position our activists are. I did not think of that,
assuming that you would identify yourself.
I can just see the reaction of the average pol on seeing messages from abroad.
He would say : What is in it for them? Do they want research support too?

I am very appreciative of your messages of support for the cause and I would not
think of trying to stop you. I was just trying to prevent any expectations of
success.

Will A. Kuipers      ( Dallas, Texas )       ( 75 / dx '91 )
INTERNET:[log in to unmask]