Dear Friends,

We had a good turn-out for the symposium, I estimate that the
conference hall
was about 90% full. The symposium was moderated by Paula Goldberg,
R.N.,
Coordinator for the Parkinson’s Disease Center at Johns Hopkins. The
topics
and presenters were:

a.  Treatment of PD - Past, Present, and Future (George Paulson,
M.D.)
b.  PD - A Look Backwards (Stephen Reich, M.D.)
c.  Current Ideas About the Cause of PD (Ted Dawson, M.D., Ph.D.)
d.  Autonomic Dysfunction in PD (Ted George, M.D., Ph.D.)
e.  The Gifts of Aging (Leslie Gibson, R.N., B.S.)

Additionally there were remarks by Sally Thorner, News Anchor,
WJZ-TV,
Baltimore, whose mother and uncle have PD. She has been a PD
activist for many
years and has been our media contact. There was also a panel of six
PWP, five
of whom had been on a panel at the last symposium in 1994 where they
discussed
how PD affected their lives. They now discussed changes which had
occurred in
the last two years.

It was also a nice time for visiting with those I hadn’t seen since
the last
symposium. Will Johnson, a frequent contributor to the list, was
there. In
fact, he will probably have his own report to give.

Finally, before Will beats me to it, I will tell about my own humble
contribution to the proceedings. The presentation by Leslie Gibson
dealt
primarily with the therapeutic effect of laughter and she asked for
volunteer. Since my fear of public performance disappeared with the
noticeable
onset of my PD symptoms I took the challenge. She essentially needed
me to
hold the microphone for her while she demonstrated a few magic
tricks, but
being one to not pass up an opportunity I asked her if I could
relate a
personal experience and she agreed.

We had been on break just prior to her presentation and many people
were using
the restrooms. The elderly gentleman using the urinal next to me was
having
extreme difficulty with his clothing. I could readily sympathize
with him
since I have the same problem when my meds are off. This brought to
mind my
most frustrating experience with this problem. I had gotten my pants
unzipped
and pulled up my undershirt but just could not find the opening to
my boxer
shorts. Usually they would be slightly twisted so I would have to
struggle to
get them straightened out, but this time I just could not find the
opening.
After several very frustrating minutes I shuffled into a stall and
just pulled
my pants down. That is when I discovered that I had my shorts on
backwards!

One bit of information presented during the symposium confirmed
something that
I had observed myself. A recent study shows that PWP are less
responsive to
their medication in the late afternoon (no cause was hypothesized).
That
explained why I would be one hundred per in the morning, early
afternoon, and
late evening and yet go off the late afternoon and early evening
even though I
was taking my meds at regular intervals. (Dr. Reich, who is my
neurologist,
said I could try taking an extra dose of Sinemet CR in the
afternoon.)

All in all, the symposium was time well spent.

Bruce
55/8
Sinemet CR and Pramipexole (clinical trial)

  I think therefor I am - Descartes
  I think I am - Nietzsche
  I am because I choose to be - me