Subject: International Support for Udall

Hello everyone, I would like to add my ten pence worth to the Udall Bill
debate, and if my less-than-perfect grasp of the US political system
shows, I hope you won't be too hard on me!

The key aspect of the American democratic system (and many other
democracies) which made the recent campaign possible is the lobbying
system, which in essence allows a small group of people to produce a
large effect by "making a nuisance of themselves."  We know that if we
simply relied on our votes in the elections we would fail because we are
a minority group, like so many others.

The problem which really stopped the wagon when it seemed to be rolling
so well was that the whole system can grind to a halt if certain key
people are not pursuaded. In this case the names Billirakis and Bliley
(sorry about the spelling) spring to mind. If I have understood the
reports from the frontline, direct lobbying of these hard cases is
simply a waste of time.

But there is another way:

The simple fact exists that when and if a cure for PD is found, (and
assuming that is found by the USA, that cure would be available (No
doubt for a price) on a world-wide basis. Properly handled, the goodwill
generated by this result could be enormous. Now we are on a totally
different playing field - International Politics. I don't know how much
the USA gives to foreign countries to (to put it bluntly) promote
friendly relationships, but I would bet that it makes the Udall bill
100 million us dollars look like small change. And I am talking about
the sort of goodwill that you can't buy with money..
   So maybe we overseas members of the list (I don't want to use the
word foreigners) should be lobbying the Foreign Secretary or someone
similar. If we were soccessful, I suspect that money would not be  a
problem, when compared to the Internationl budget.

Am I talking rubbish  ?? Don't spare my feelings - this subject is too
important for that.

Regards, Brian Collins