Charles,

What a well-told story about chores and slowness.  Your last line was marvelous!
To wit:

When Drew says
"Daddy you're too slow!"  I just remind him that he's the "fast mover" in
the family not me!
                                   Charley Countryman

        Slowness is the name of the game.  When someone says, "Don't bother. Take
your time. I'm in no hurry," I try to disabuse them of the notion that they are
really patient enough to watch me make haste.  They have no idea of time as I --
We -- experience it.  They still think deep in their heart of hearts that all it
takes is a little more will-power and the foot will leave the floor, the hand
will pick up the fork,the back will straighten up.
        Will-power, thy name is Dopamine.  They don't think we are being
deliberately slow; they know it's somehow impossible for us to do the easy
thing: to move (!).   It is easy, for them.  It's really not that hard for us,
merely impossible.
        For me, the hardest part of the game is being patient with myself.  I
know it won't last forever; I know no one has a stop watch on me; I know things
just are as things just are; I know frustration will only make matters worse; I
know that it's no mental failure or moral lapse on my part; I know that if
someone is watching me that any obvious frustration on my part will only
distress (pointlessly) them; I know that I'm often too stubborn and contrary to
ask for help. I know a lot of things, but right now what I know is "I can't
move."
        We may be the butt of some elaborate cosmic joke.  We may just as likely
not be. But we are sure as H--- slow.

George Andes
62/14 and still counting (slowly)