The thought that drug companies would prefer that diseases not be cured so
that they can continue profiting from pharmaceutical sales is cynical and
unproductive.  As expensive as many drugs are they still remain the most
cost effective treament for disease in most instances.  Drug companies
would benefit from increased NIH basic research into PD because in the
short term newly developed drug treatments, perhaps some for very specific
symptoms, will result from this work.  They would love to have the federal
government do free basic research for them if it will provide new
opportunities to develop blockbuster drugs.  It is in their interest to
maintain a pipeline of newer, more effective treatments because the older
ones eventually go off patent and face stiff competition from generic
manufacturers.

A cure is not around the corner.  Effective treatment is our immediate goal
and that will take newer more effective medications along side some of the
more radical surgeries and genetically engineered solutions that will be
more common in the years to come.

The drug companies have restrictions on the types of political activity and
lobbying in which they become involved.  Perhaps someone knowledgeable can
address this issue directly.  The drug companies are not the enemy here;
Parkinson's is the enemy.  We need support from all sources.  Paranoia
about hidden motives can only hurt us.