Let's take another look at the figures.  NINDS published
their FY97 budget in their homepage.   That number was
$695 million.  NINDS receives $727 million  for FY97 from
Congress.  That is $32 million more than they budgeted.  It
is not $100 million or even $80 million, but it's a nice piece
of change.  Of course not all of that will necessarily go
towards Parkinson's research, but hopefully a significant
portion will.

I've written to Dr. Hall and pointed these figures out to
him.  Furthermore, I asked if he could identify how much of
is FY97 budget will be in Parkinson's research.  I explained
to him the melancholy mood the Parkinson's research
advocates find themselves in.  Yes, we have accomplished a
great deal, but how much of a real difference as measured in
dollars?  Dr. Hall has enthusiastically supported our efforts.
His concern from the outset was if he were mandated to
spend more on Parkinson's research but didn't get more
money, he would have to take from other disease groups.
Now we will see how supportive NINDS and Dr. Hall are
of Parkinson's research.  It seems to me that he got what he
desired - more money and no earmarking.  I think we can
safely say that the Parkinson's advocates were responsible
for NINDS receiving this increase.  If the majority of the
increase is not spent on Parkinson's research, we will point
out this to Congress next year as a compelling reason for
earmarking.

I think that is one of the things we must do differently.  We
need hard facts.  What NINDS does with this additional $32
million will be one fact.  As the new budget gets analyzed,
we need to take note of the various  areas of wasteful
spending that are sure to be there.  Repeatedly we were
asked where should we get the money from?  Next year I
want to have a list of answer

.