On Oct. 2, 1996 J. Cordy wrote:
>snip
>I've written to Dr. Hall and pointed these figures out to
>him.  Furthermore, I asked if he could identify how much of
>is FY97 budget will be in Parkinson's research.  I explained
>to him the melancholy mood the Parkinson's research
>advocates find themselves in.  Yes, we have accomplished a
>great deal, but how much of a real difference as measured in
>dollars?  Dr. Hall has enthusiastically supported our efforts.
>His concern from the outset was if he were mandated to
>spend more on Parkinson's research but didn't get more
>money, he would have to take from other disease groups.

******************
Mr. Cordy ,
In one of my most recent letters FROM U.S. Senators I feel
the Senator from New Jersey,(Bill Bradley), explains it better than most.
The letter is dated Sept. 19, 1996. ( I'm sure many of you received this
letter also).

Bill Bradley says that he shares our desire in finding a cure for Parkinson's
Disease, but he feels that finding a cure for this and other diseases,
can be addresses through continued funding for biomedical research
at the National Institues of Health (NIH).
.
Senator Bradley does go on to say that he was very disappointed that the
 final comprise version of the Budget Resolution, which was recently approved
by both the House and the Senate, includes a total of $2.1 billion in cut to
NIH over the next seven years.  He opposed passage of this final compromise
version of the Budget Resolution, because of the drastic cuts in vital areas
such as funds for the NIH.

He goes on to say that there is still hope, as this only serves as guidance
to the Appropriations Committees, but are not binding. The final decision
about funding for the NIH will be made when the Labor, Health and Human
Services bill passes the Congress.  It is his hope that a lower level of cuts
will be included in that legislation.  He promises that he will continue to
fight
for adequate funding for health research activities.
Maybe  $32 Million was added back into that legislation ?

***************
Bernardo,
I think Mr. Cordy answered your question when he said that
Dr. Hall felt that if he earmarked more for PD he's have to take
it away from other diseases.
 IMOHO, I think that is one of the reasons many Senators and Reps.
 won't get behind the Udall Bill.  They have to answer to ALL their
constituents.

Once when my Daughter was quite small, she asked for something,
and I told her I couldn't afford it.  She said , "Why?, you still have
check blanks left Mama"?
I have thought of that many,many times lately!!!!!

As Ever,
>From South Florida
Marjorie Moorefield
just another librarian (with PD)