------------------------------

On 21 Sep 1996 Jan Rolff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<<<<<Can somebody of you tell me if RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) is the same
thing as what other refer to as: if 'worms are crawling down your legs'?
I sometimes have the latter symptoms, which make it difficult to sleep.
As a result, to get rid of this creepy feeling, I have to shudder. Is
this the same as RLS?>>>>>

Jan, you've described something I've experienced for several years (the
"Shivers").  It usually occurs in the early morning after a night of insomnia
when I'm trying to squeeze in an extra hour or two of sleep.  I also have
occasional RLS which feels different.  RLS is continuous, shivers are
intermittent.  The only instant RLS remedy (for me) is to get out of bed and
move around.  The only instant shivers remedy is to shiver, an almost
involuntary rapid trembling of my leg muscles which lasts maybe 2 or 3 seconds.
It's similar to shivering from the cold but is confined to my legs.  A couple of
Sinemet 25/100's will generally fix either problem but I lose another hour or so
of sleep waiting for them to work.

Anyone else familiar with the shivers?

Bob Bowling
Overland Park, KS