David,

I too have heard (not on this list) that dehydration can cause any number
of _temporary symptoms and problems,_ including plain old simple fatigue!
That's encouraged me to drink more. It makes a difference to me.

One trick is to keep a tall glass of water handy and focus on emptying
it several times a day. The Chinese often drink _hot_ water, and have
wonderful tall porcelain or even plastic tea mugs with lids. This will keep
dust (and Moggy's hair) out of your healthy drink!

You're right, children rarely seem to drink water these days. Hmmm.  What
can be done?

Oh, yes. I'd better come clean about my involvement in the water business.
My brother is an engineer in a water treatment utility in Texas. Now you
see, the more water you drink . . .

David
----------

On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, David Langridge wrote:

> WATER
>
> Millie lent across the bar to speak to me and I caught a whiff of an unusually
> pungent scent. 'Like your scent Millie' - 'Oil of Wintergreen Darling, one of
> my gentleman admirers gave it me' she said with a flirtatious twink in her in
> her large blue eyes.'Told me it was relaxing- as if I need relaxing- only when
> Snody starts up' Snody was the ultimate Parkinson bore. You name it he'd
> had it restless legs, constipation, anxiety, halucinations, hypertension,
> hypotension and that's just for starters.He was also a self appointed expert on
> every PD topic. He had tried every drug and when he had a few pints of Bard
> inside him was likely to wander into the Off Bar, corner some  immobile
> pathetic person and could be heard saying in a loud slurry voice 'Now what
> you ought to be taking Bill is -----'
>
> 'Mind you he hasn't been to bad the last week or two as he has  been drinking
> water instead of Bard'  'Don't believe it I said. How come?' ' He's not the
> only one, there's a lot of them come in here for a glass of water after that
> Miss Pring down at the library obtained a  book about water' ' Which book is
> that ' I said -' Your Body's Many Cries for Water from the European Studies
> Institute replied Millie who besides being a stunner had a  remarkably retentive
> memory and it was a great shame that she was unable to complete her
> university course after she came back to take over the pub after her father
> died. Poor old Syd he had Parkinsons and used to spill more beer than he
> served - how he kept in business no one knows. I digress.
>
> 'Tell me more ' I said ' I would take a lot of persuading to drink water
> instead
> of Bard - Top my glass up please Millie'
> Millie slipped into her serious lecture mode
>
> ' This guy  Batmanghelidj who is an Iranian but apparently trained as a doctor
> in England has  been putting his controversial views forward for a number of
> years and was first published in the States in 1992. In a nutshell he believes
> that a lot of medical conditions are due to body dehydration.Beer,coffe , tea
> and sodas like coke are no substitute for plain tap water principally  because
> of their diuretic effect.Children are not educated to drink water and become
> dependant on manufactured soft drinks.Apparently everyone should be
> drinking at least 3 pints of tap water every day and this is good for a number
> of pains including dyspepsia, rheuematoid arthritis, low back pain, headaches,
> stress and dehydration, high blood pressure, asthma and various allergies.'
>
> 'Sounds too good to be true ' I said.
> 'Has this guy got shares in a water company? and I wouldn't think that Betty
> Knut would think much of it.' Betty Knut was a sort of community witch
> doctor who  lived alone except for a black cat and dispensed various herbal
> and holistic remedies and including yes - snake droppings.

> [...]

David Robert Austen
Masters Degree Program in Information Science
Indiana University, Bloomington
Indiana 47405 U.S.A.
Telephone 812 335 8835  Fax 812 335 8598