Hi Everybody,

Brian, your points on this well covered subject are very well explained and
I agree with them whole heartedly.  It seems such a waste that PWPD are
prepared to suffer reduced abilities in the belief that they must save the
L-dopa for later.

In a memo to Maryhelen I suggested the following:

>>I would perhaps liken our bodies to a car with a carburetter but no
brakes.  To keep the car in motion satisfactorily we >>have to feed in the
petrol (dopamine) at a rate to maintain the speed required.  Too little and
the car slows down or even >>stops, too much and it speeds up beyond our
ability to control it properly.

I should also have added that with the passage of time the carburetter
(Substantia Nigra)  becomes worn and less efective so that even the correct
quantities of petrol do not always prevent eratic running.

Over simplistic? Sure, but sometimes it helps to explain it that way to
Newbies or people whose mother tongue is not English.

On holiday, somebody to whom  I was explaining PD kept going on about me
seeking "PSYCHIATRIC" help!!!!

Regards,

Ernie

Ernie Peters ([log in to unmask])