>Ken.... Flourescent lites can often (not always, but "often") cause me to
>experience discomfort.  Also ceiling fans and occillating (hmmm... is there
>too many "CCs," and ""LLs?") <smile> can make me very uncomfortable.
>Especially if the main unit is aimed right at me.  Oddly, I've noticed that if
>I get a reaction from being directly in the path of a fan, thne so does the
>phone if I'm on it (LOTS of static) and also the radio!  Again - static.
>
>I know several individuals who have MS who experience similar reactions in the
>same conditions.
>
>For what it's worth...
>
>Barb Mallut,

Hi Barbara,

Read your comments about fluorescent lights with interest.

Folks may be interested in something called S.A.D. and it's symptoms.

S.A.D. (Seasonal Affected Disorder) symptoms appear to have a lot in common
with the hibernation cycle in many animals.  Research shows that the
seasonal trigger for hibernation is a response to decreasing light levels.
As the days grow shorter the desire to hibernate becomes greater.  This
"seasonal clock" is in part affected by the levels of the hormone melatonin,
the production of which is controlled, at least partially, by the pineal
gland in the brain, and it was found that regular exposure to bright light
affected the activity of the pineal gland and suppressed the production of
melatonin

S.A.D. is now officially recognised by doctors and psychiatrists as a
medical condition and is thought to affect as many as 2 million people in
the UK alone, something like 80% of sufferers being female.  It is further
believed that probably up to 10 million people suffer to varying degrees as
a result of light deprivation during the winter months.

The symptoms are a general feeling of gloom and misery, a lack of interest
in normal social activities with an overall feeling of depression for no
obvious reason.

Some sufferers also experience a craving for carbohydrates and sweet foods.
Sufferers find that they sleep longer but wake up still feeling tired with
no benefit from the extra sleep.  A vastly reduced interest in sex is also a
common symptom.

Suffers from this problem have been shown to benefit when treated during the
winter months by exposure to bright light sources containing full daylight
spectrum.  These light sources can be puchased and, in recognition that they
are used for medical treatment are exempt from value added tax in the UK.

Shortly after I was diagnosed, I had an urge to get into the light and hated
sitting away from windows in restaurants for example.  I purchased a light
box as they are called and have used it in the winter months near the
computer.  It did not cure the PD but did seem to cheer me up.  Have you
never experienced that "lift" in your spirits when it has been cloudy and
dull all day and then suddenly the sun breaks through?

Ken MAY be experiencing a similar affect.  All avenues need to be explored
in this complex disease we share.

I have also heard or read somewhere that fluorescent lights produce negative
ions which affect us but this point I do not know too much about.

Regards,

Ernie.

Ernie Peters ([log in to unmask])