Will A. Kuipers (Dallas, Texas)(75 /dx '91)<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
<<<I have often wondered about this. There does not seem to be a constancy
in the way doctors prescribe PD medicines. Each seems to be doing his own
thing.
When I was diagnosed 5 years ago I was put on 2 Eldepryl 5 mg. daily (in
the morning and at noon) and 2 Sinemet CR (50-200) also daily (in the
morning and in the evening).  Why he started me off on CR I don't know.
Other patients get other meds and dosages, I found. Are we the private
research projects of our doctors?
Anyway, maybe because of the CR I never experienced "on" or "off"
conditions. Everything is the same throughout the day. As a matter of fact
I am at my best in the early morning. This is probably an envious situation
when compared with others with severe ups and downs, but it makes me
sometimes wonder why I take these meds.
The only thing I remember from the first year, that was an improvement, was
a reduction of stiffness in the neck and back, which made driving a car
easier. (Nowadays getting in and out of a car is more of a problem due to
arthritis of the knees ). I have no problems walking, but my voice is
affected.
I wonder if there are more people with no clear on or off symptoms, either
due to the meds or due to the fact that maybe their PD has not progressed
very far. One way to find out is to temporarily quit taking the meds, but
my dr. has cautioned against this.
This may have been discussed in this list before. I joined only recently.>>>

I wonder why there is inconsistent prescribing, also.  The two Eldepryl was
fairly much standard five years ago. The current status is mixed because
the data is not clear-cut regarding this drug.
With regard to initial prescribing, the Sinemet CR smaller pill 25/100
should be prescribed - or, the 50/200 taken as halves.  The CR delivers to
the bloodstream for a longer duration than standard Sinemet or generic. It
also does not provide the "spike" soon after ingestion - which is an
overload beyond what is needed.
However, the regular medication decays in bloodstream concentration more
rapidly which obviates the advantage of having to take CR drug less often.
However, the cost difference for convenience is considerable. Also, the
duration of sufficient levodopa in the blood is not near 12 hours.
The taking of Eldepryl (which stays in the blood for much longer) in the
morning only has been my choice - I did take one at noon also for a year or
so.  The taking of the second CR in the evening does not seem logical. It
is probable that early in the disease progression, there is greater
"storage" capability of the still-functioning neurons in the substantia
nigra.  But, it is probable that taking the second pill at 2 PM would
provide levodopa until perhaps 7 PM. Unless one wishes to be better after
supper than in the afternoon, it is better not to be most active when
retiring for the night.
In summary, my (documented in my homepage - "click here" sub-page) opinion
is that you would be better medicated if you took the two 50/200 CR tablets
as four halves at four hour intervals. This would keep nearly constant
level of levodopa in your blood from 7 AM until about 16 hours later, 11
PM, if you consume the first half at about 6 AM.
I would welcome more blood plasma levodopa data and pharmacokinetics
information.  The effects of food intake on the absorption also needs data
gathering.  Reporting and use of what is known more widely would help.
Hope this helps, Will.  Early on (12 years ago), I too was given too much
at the start - and on a poor schedule: three pills taken just before
breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  The taking with meals reduced the amount
absorbed, but the med was gone before the next did anything. If I had taken
six halves of those 25/100 regular Sinemet tablets, I would have been
better medicated instead of being given larger doses but staying with three
per day.  I got up to three 25/250 pills rather quickly - probably before 5
years postdiagnosis in 1984.  I now take 3 generic 25/250 pills as 6
halves, 1 eldepryl in morning, and 6 halves of 0.25 mg. Permax with the 6
halves of carbi/levodopa and a 7th half just before retiring.

ron      1936, dz PD 1984  Ridgecrest, California
Ronald F. Vetter <[log in to unmask]>
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter/rcpdsg.html/  (Parkinson group)
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter/