Milo Anderson wrote:  <<He went on to explain that all of the medical
research in the US is funded by the pharmaceutical industry, and they are
in it for profit.>>

I would clarify:
*not all medical research is so funded
*they are not doing research for profit per se - most use other's research
if they can get it
*they will make and sell mouthwash  or anything that produces profit
*the costs of patenting and obtaining FDA approval with monopoly pricing
are the major criterion to pursue marketing a drug

Alternative medicine is the source of most drugs.  the potions of shaman or
healer were medicines.  The drug companies find the active ingredients; and
a way to manufacture that.

You are probably aware of most of this.  the medical doctor's expertise
should remain in diagnosing as first training emphasis (after s/he learns
biochemistry, biology, etc.).  The costs of becoming qualified to practice
medicine are high and there should be more use of others to expedite all
other parts of taking care of patients - the physician should emphasize the
role of diagnosis and prescribe a treatment regimen.  a nurse would explain
the regimen, give a copy to the patient, follow up the results until the
patient is doing the needed things on his own.

Each of us is responsible for knowing enough to be able to get medical
attention and whatever assistance we need to live well.  Eating and
drinking and living well are our responsibility.  Accurate knowledge of how
our body-mind is faring may keep us healthy most of our life.

ron      1936, dz PD 1984  Ridgecrest, California
Ronald F. Vetter <[log in to unmask]>
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter/rcpdsg.html/  (Parkinson group)
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter/