Margaret Tuchman wrote:
<<<What do you think of this idea of "sustained, unresolved stress" and/or
"chronic, unresolved conflict." There is a1so a 1989 study by Eatough,
Kempster, Lees, & Stern which found that, compared with controls, Parkinson
patients were more inflexible AND HAD A SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER INCIDENCE OF
ADVERSE CHILDHOOD LIFE EVENTS."
Any thoughts?? Let's resolve that we check-in, on a regular basis, with our
inner selves and ask "how're you doin'?">>>

The psychologists find psychological "causes" (correlations, actually)
because they look for them.
However, as an amateur know-it-all, my thinking on the effects of stress
includes the possibility that neurodegeneration is natural.  Sooner or
later we die.  The neuro-generation of each of us is evolved
post-conception, further evolved in babyhood, then childhood, and continues
to evolve individually until the individual is killed accidentally, injured
significantly, or becomes "tired of living".  The label, depressed, becomes
obvious to all who look at someone who is withdrawn, alone, has low
self-esteem, enjoys none of what little s/he does, ...
Life for those with human consciousness is different from less-cognitive
species in that we notice eventually that we are the "captains of our ship"
or "master of my fate".  If we are not feeling recipients of parental love
and caring at the start - sufficient to our needs - received when needed -
and grow in cognitive terms/abstract, we will have low social skill,
self-esteem, confidence .... which will be harder to change as we evolve
our personality.  Learning to care for self and others is imperative.
Loving is caring for self and others.  Our uniqueness in abstracting and
thinking symbolically and verbally and learning what has been learned by
the whole of our species if we choose to study the authors of books and
other media recording our history.
As long as we are interested in continuing, we will live.  It is necessary
to sustain the psyche as well as the substrate of the psyche - id est, the
body with the homo sapiens mind.
If one introspects and does not find s/he loves (cares for) both mental and
physical self, there is need to improve one's choices so that one likes
(applauds, feels good about) one's self and his/her care of self.  Knowing
one-self is necessary to choosing interesting and rewarding activity.
These will keep one alive and spunky. Despair will deplete one's brain of
the messengers that keep our cells alive - then, it dies cell by cell.
Perhaps our fear of dying is the underlying reason that so much of our
resources are expended to prolong the inevitable a short while.

George L. Bousliman wrote: <<All four of the characterics describe yours truly:
1. neurotic/introverted personality
2. sustained, unresolved stress
3. chronic, unresolved conflict
4. major adverse childhood life events.
The "cure" for me and perhaps for others may well lie not in drugs or
surgery, but rather in something a good deal more lasting and profound
i.e., in the spirit.>>>

Yes, if one wants to die, his spirit seeks relief.  Requiescat in pace.
(translated: Rest in peace, but the thought might have been "death is
better than living with a decrepit body").

ron      1936, dz PD 1984  Ridgecrest, California
Ronald F. Vetter <[log in to unmask]>
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter/rcpdsg.html/  (Parkinson group)
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter/