hasn't the damage already been done".  It depends on the nature of
the "cure".  More properly we should say cure or new effective
treatment.  The growth factors such as GDNF reportedly revive dormant
 nerve cells.  Fetal transplants (not necessarily human fetal tissue)
offer promise.  Drugs which can be tailored to effect only the
desired receptors are a possibility. these are just a few example
which come to mind.  The point being there is tremendous promise for
everyone with Parkinson's especially if we can get increased research
funding.